Long Island's high cost of living is especially hard on young people,
senior citizens, and people with disabilities. Many seniors whose
incomes decline after retirement cannot afford to stay on Long Island
and enjoy the standard of living to which they have contributed so
much. Catholic Charities' housing department provides disadvantaged
people with the opportunity for safe and affordable housing and
access to a supportive network of services. The program currently
operates 15 housing facilities in Nassau and Suffolk counties,
totaling more than 1,263 units.
In addition to providing safe, affordable apartments, Catholic
Charities' housing department works to ensure the physical, social,
and spiritual well-being of residents. All sites have social services
coordinators who arrange events at each facility and help residents
access services for which they are eligible. Two pastoral care
coordinators, one working in Nassau County and one in Suffolk,
are responsible for knowing the residents, identifying their needs,
and connecting them with a variety of services. Weekly, on-site
medical services are available at some sites, as is access to Catholic
Charities' Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP).
Housing facilities are listed below:
Location and Hours
- Bishop Daly Gardens, Uniondale, 45 units
- Bishop Kellenberg Gardens, Oceanside, 57 units
- Bishop McGann Village, Central Islip, 125 units
- Bishop Ryan Village, Hampton Bays, 75 units
- George Link Jr. Apartments, Coram, 76 units
- Mary's Manor, Inwood, 122 units.
- Mary's Manor Enriched Housing, Inwood, 28 units
- Msgr. Henry J. Reel Village I, Medford, 77 units
- Msgr. Henry J. Reel Village II, Medford, 43 units
- Peternana Terrace, Freeport, 97 units
- St. Agnes Village, Uniondale, 75 units
- St. Anne's Gardens, Brentwood, 100 units
- St. Hedwig's Gardens, Floral Park, 27 units
- St. Joseph's Village, Selden, 200 units
- St. Paul's Gardens, Brentwood, 85 units
- Thea Bowman Residence (for people with physical disabilities), Amityville, 31 units
Catholic Charities Housing Department
Thomas F. Casey Administration Center
90 Cherry Lane
Hicksville, NY 11801
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Office hours of social services coordinators vary by housing site.
Eligibility and Fees
Seniors 62 years and older who meet income guidelines are eligible
with the exception of St. Anne's Gardens, which accepts seniors who
are 60 or older. Call the housing department for updated guidelines.
The housing department also develops units for people struggling
with HIV/AIDS, chemical dependency, mental illness, developmental
disabilities, and crisis pregnancy. Please call those programs directly
for eligibility requirements.
For Thea Bowman Residence an applicant must have a qualifying
visual, hearing, or mobility impairment and be of low-income. Rent
is a percentage of income.
Rents vary by site. For some sites, rent is calculated as a percentage
of the resident's income. Other sites have fixed rent.